THE LEMON GROVE CHRISTMAS ADVENT CALENDAR: December 16
With the Christmas holiday season fast approaching our thoughts naturally go towards prepping for meals, snacks and cocktails.
Many of us will be ordering food and drink to feed family and friends, although Covid-19 and our respective government laws and guidelines will make for uneasy gatherings in small groups.
At the same time, I reading online and in newspapers about the amount of food wasted that will over the next few weeks, for lacking ideas about to do with it.
So here is a list of suggestions about how to minimise the amount of seasonal citrus that ends up in compost bins.
These ideas depend on what you’ve made with the fruits, for example just using the zest, or juice.
* Make flavoured salt. Dry the zest, uncovered overnight. Mix wirh similar volume of coarse ground sea salt.
* Candy the peel.
* Freeze zest, and juice (separately) to add to cooking and recipes.
*. Add juices halves to tray baked vegetables.
* Put towards making marmalade.
* Make preserved lemons. Perhaps add a cinnamon stick, dried read chillies or bay leaves.
* Make a cleaning fluid. Soak lemon piece(s) on vinegar for two weeks. Use neat or diluted.
* Make essential oil. Just cover peel with vodka. shake bottle two or three times a day. Strain after at least three days, strain. Leave uncovered for a few days to allow alcohol to evaporate.
* Finally, once you’ve squeezed as much value out of the fruit, pop it into the compost. Peels are good sources of nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus.
Please let me know what you do with you citrus ‘waste ‘ 🍊🍋